I’m always trying to add a little something extra each year to my Christmas decorating. This year I decided to make “Santas Boots” In addition to decorating, these WILL be worn by “Santa” one day when we have Grand kids!!!
You will need:
Boots ~ with black sole
Roll of painters tape
Can of “Red” Spray paint. I used Krylon Dual Paint & Primer in Banner Red (Gloss)
1 yard of Black Felt approx 1 1/2″ wide. (you will have some leftover)
Heavy Cardboard (I used cardboard from an old oatmeal canister)
1 yard of Gold Ribbon approx 1/2″ wide.
Glue gun and Glue Sticks, and school glue or Elmers glue stick.
How I did it:
I started with a pair of my hubbys worn (and hopefully, no longer needed) work boots. (rounded toe, cowboy or farm boots…..no lace up type boots). You can also hunt for old boots at your local Thrift or Goodwill store if your hubby doesn’t want to part with his!
- I took the boots outside, and used a brush to remove all dirt from them.
- Using painters tape (the blue kind), tape off the rubber sole of the boot getting as close to the seam where the shaft of the boot meets the sole. Covering all of the sides of the black sole. You do NOT want any paint on the black sole.
- Shake the spray paint for about 2 minutes (or according to their directions) and evenly spray the boot shaft The leather or material part of the boot. (NOT the rubber sole). You may have to use 2 coats, like I did.
- Let dry for several hours .
- Next, measure around the ankle of the boot, and your black felt, and cut to strips. One “strap” for each boot. And glue the straps around the ankle with the seam to the front of the boot (you will be covering it up with the buckle).
- Cut a 2 1/2″ square for your “buckle” and then carefully cut a square hole in the center.
Now you will glue your gold ribbon onto the buckle evenly, and lastly, glue the buckle onto the black felt strap.
***Note*** All measurements are approximate due to different shoe sizes. My husbands boots are a size 13, so obviously, my boots needed more materials!